Wednesday 19 April 2023

Attendee Review of Lightning Talks event

Following our recent AGM, CILIP North East held a series of lightning talks by members working in different sectors. The event was well  received and we got some really positive feedback. We're grateful to attendee Joanne Hunter, Learning Zone Manager at Greenbank High School who has shared her thoughts on the event:


I found all of the speakers at the lightening talks event so interesting and have been left inspired by all of their roles.

I'm very happy in my school librarian post but now Jackie and Joanne have got me wondering if a new challenge in NHS libraries is for me. I was struck by just how many patrons are served from nurses and doctors to canteen staff and patients and how varied and interesting each day must be.

Sean's account of his work as a volunteer in a volunteer led and run Public library sounded so worthwhile. How lucky are the community to have him and the rest of the team providing their own time to provide a much needed resource.

I also listened with great interest to Paula as I too worked in academic libraries for many years. I can see how her skills as a systems librarian are so transferable to this role and I have no doubt that she was made for it but it was also so lovely and encouraging to hear how she admitted to being out of her comfort zone sometimes but had overcome those fears and it actually hadn't been so bad at all.

What an amazing place the kittiwake Trust multi lingual library must be. To be able to serve so many people from so many communities is nothing short of amazing. I was struck firstly by how much of a task it must be to run but also that despite the set backs you could just tell how much Amina cared.

Lastly, but by no means least I really enjoyed Jennifer's account of her role at The Common Room. It was very informative but also very amusing, I found myself giggling when she spoke of trying to remember all of the volunteers names, plus their grandchildren! I could hear in Jennifer's voice how much she enjoyed her job and it does sound wonderful. 

Thank you for the opportunity to join in with the event. I'd encourage anyone to look out for more like it. It was so well organised and one and a half hours really well spent.

Joanne Hunter 

Learning Zone Manager

Greenbank High School 


No comments:

Post a Comment